Saturday, July 7, 2012

My response to a woman who disagrees with her husband on circumcising their child

" I strongly do NOT want to circumcise our son. My husband strongly DOES want to circumcise our son. His reasons are religions, so it's a little bit more difficult to use research/logic to persuade him otherwise. He is having a hard time persuading me, because frankly I can't be persuaded by religious reasons. We are both of the same religion, I guess I'm just interpreting things differently than he is.
I mean, should we see a therapist, a priest, a pediatrician, or what?? Yikes. "


I am a 40 year old cut man, with an intact teenager son.

Don't let people bully you into thinking that because you don't have a penis you don't have a word on this. You have empathy to the pain. You had the baby in your womb for the pregnancy. If something goes wrong with the procedure, you will kick yourself for the rest of your life.

(in fact, you have a foreskin: the clitoral hood, and I'm sure you wouldn't like to have had it cut as a baby. Female circumcision was legal in the U.S. until 1996)

 Every surgery has risks. Circumcision does too. A baby can die from circumcision. A baby can end up mutilated. A circumcision can be botched with horrible results. A circumcision may leave too little skin, making erections painful for a lifetime. Those risks, even if small, are real.

 I don't know what's your religion. Since you wrote "priest", I tend to assume you are Christians. If that's the case, circumcision has no place in your religion. Jesus is the New Alliance that overrides the covenant of the Jews (circumcision). From early in Christianity, the apostles understood that circumcision was not part of their religion, so Greeks and Romans could join them (who were not willing to get circumcised) and Jews as well (who already were circumcised).

 Quotes from the Old Testament regarding circumcision apply to the Jews only. The New Testament is clear on what happens after Christ:

 Philippians 3: 1-7


3 So then, my brothers and sisters, be glad in the Lord. It’s no trouble for me to repeat the same things to you because they will help keep you on track. 2 Watch out for the “dogs.” Watch out for people who do evil things. Watch out for those who insist on circumcision, which is really mutilation. 3 We are the circumcision. We are the ones who serve by God’s Spirit and who boast in Christ Jesus. We don’t put our confidence in rituals performed on the body, 4 though I have good reason to have this kind of confidence. If anyone else has reason to put their confidence in physical advantages, I have even more:
5 I was circumcised on the eighth day.
I am from the people of Israel and the tribe of Benjamin.
I am a Hebrew of the Hebrews.
With respect to observing the Law, I’m a Pharisee.
6 With respect to devotion to the faith, I harassed the church.
With respect to righteousness under the Law, I’m blameless.
7 These things were my assets, but I wrote them off as a loss for the sake of Christ.



If you are Jews, then I can recommend this page: http://www.jewsagainstcircumcision.org/

According to their homepage: "Rabbi Moses Maimonides himself acknowledged that circumcision is done to desensitize the penis and curb masturbation."

"Jews are some of the smartest people in the world. We are 1/3rd of 1% of the population, yet we hold 33% of Nobel prizes. We are smart enough to understand that mutilating a little boys' penis is not an acceptable practice in modern times."



 I'm a parent of a teenager who was left intact. When I told him what circumcision was, his answer was "do people really do that?". I know he is glad he is intact.

The locker room idea is a less likely scenario every day. My son is in a public high school and he has never been nude with other kids in a locker room. Regardless of that, every day there's more people leaving their kids intact, so your son might not be a minority if left intact. Circumcised boys will be the minority by then.

 I am circumcised. I was circumcised as an infant, not as a baby, and I remember the traumatic event. I knew my body already, so I was aware of the change in shape. I didn't want to be circumcised. I begged the doctor not to cut me. I was cut anyway. I wish I had been left intact. Now, at 40 years of age, I'm in the process of "restoring", and I'm also studying more about circumcision, and I find it to be an abusive, cruel and dangerous practice.

When an operation involves death or loss of the penis as a risk, it better be done for a real reason, i.e., the patient needs it to save his life. A healthy boy is in no danger to lose his life from having a foreskin, so I can't see it being justifiable.



I hope this information will be helpful. Best wishes, sincerely.

No comments:

Post a Comment