Thursday, November 15, 2012

Uncommon Sense from a Common Dad - The Whole Network - Parents deciding on circumcision

Do you remember what you wanted to do with your life as a child?  Most of us can clearly recall that memory, as can I.  My dad asked me the familiar question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” Looking back at it now, maybe becoming a mad scientist was a little unrealistic.  However, I remember my father’s response better than the daydreams of glowing chemistry beakers.  He told me, “Just be a better man than me and be happy.” Now, as a father of two sons with a third on the way, I understand his sentiment completely… life is about progression.

            Like most fathers, I want better for my boys than what I experienced.  I also want them to grow up to be better men than me and to have a happy existence.  However, to achieve that noble goal, I had to examine the good and the bad about my life.  I couldn’t shy away from sensitive topics like my personal character flaws or topics that are normally not discussed at the dinner table.  One such subject, which is rarely brought up in public, is circumcision.  I know it’s an uncomfortable conversation, but it is in dire need of discussion for mainstream dads. [read more]

http://www.thewholenetwork.org/14/post/2011/12/uncommon-sense-from-a-common-dad.html

No comments:

Post a Comment